Otago rail trail, South Island New Zealand. Ride Middlemarch to Waipiata

I read with interest about the new “great cycle rides” in New Zealand; complementary to the “great walks” and learned that the Alps to Ocean ride was almost complete. Looking on the map it looks like I could do almost a loop with the Otago rail trail and the Alps to Ocean combined. So this was the combination that I’ve decided to do.

New Zealand is a great place to travel to. Whatever you want to do there is coverage in terms of transport, facilities and information. I can travel to most places by bus and easily hire a good quality bike for riding and freely camp in safety. Information about the Otago Rail trail: hire, accommodation, transport etc is well documented on the trail’s web site at http://www.otagocentralrailtrail.co.nz/  .

The trail is about 230km if you do it all, on my calculation I could do it in 2 days riding starting from Middlemarch to Clyde (where it’s 150km) , if I ride from Dunedin there will be an extra day in it. 

There was a heritage train leaving at 9:30am that I could take from Dunedin to Middlemarch (see http://www.dunedinrailways.co.nz/ Tairi gorge railway) ,  I booked that so that cuts out the road leg.

The promotional blurb was compelling:
Departing from Dunedin’s beautiful railway station the Taieri Gorge Railway begins its scenic journey into some of New Zealand’s most ever-changing, spectacular and iconic scenery. The train travels through the Southern parts of Dunedin city until it arrives at Wingatui Junction where it turns off onto the Taieri branch. From here the train sneaks across the Taieri Plains and climbs into the Taieri Gorge, a narrow and deep gorge carved out over aeons by the ancient Taieri River.

Twice a week in Summer (October to April) and once a week in Winter (May to September) the train extends its journey to the very end of the railway line to Middlemarch, a lovely example of a country railway town and the beginning of the Otago Central Rail Trail
 
The start of my trip was pretty tiring. I flew out of Melbourne on the red-eye special near midnight, arrive 5:00am Christchurch then at 7:00am I fly to Dunedin, arriving 8:00am. Unpack and reassemble my bike at the rail station and catch the heritage train at 9:30am. All clockwork precision, and no time to doze ! 
My weapon of choice is the Giant Anthem 29er. It will serve well on the Alps-2-Ocean and cruises well with Maxxis UST tubeless trail tyres. I have a special mountain bike rack that works on dual suspension bikes, and am using a groundeffect bike bag to transport it in; this has proved to work very well making bike touring a reality with my mountain bike.
With a trial pack in my garage, by removing the derailleur , wheels and steering, I packed the frame and components along with the toolbox and rack into the bag with cardboard and foam protection with great spatial precision. I also managed to meet the 23kg limit on weight with all my stuff. No airline baggage excess for me !
 I was tired after my late night journey, but managed to stay awake and reassemble the bike in time for the train.
 Success on the first stage of my adventure, I am boarding the train. Middlemarch here I come !
I would like to say the train journey was spectacular,  and indeed it was for the bits that I saw. The gentle rocking and clatter of wheels had a soporific effect, so I slept for perhaps 1/2 of it. That is the joy of train travel anyway. The long journey in a  country scene will be there for most of the trip. Slipping in an out of a relaxed stupor is the fun of turning a pleasant dream into reality.
From Middlemarch, the Otago rail trail was a very pleasant ride on a well maintained path through rolling hills.
A light beverage came at the right time at the Otago central hotel in Hyde, some 45km or so down the track. I averaged perhaps 19 to 20 km/h, making good time at a steady pace. It was warm but not unbearably hot, that is, just right for cycling.  
The way was well signposted, one is not going to get lost on this trail, nor miss out on any potential areas of interest. That is, of course if you stick to the trail.
 Railway tunnels are fun, but one has to take care to allow time for your eyes to adjust. Also, it is a good idea to remove one’s sunglasses.

 If the first day was anything to go by, I am going to be very pleased with this choice of rides.  The scenery is great, the weather and trail conditions perfect. What a pearler of a start to my holiday.

 
Warm comfortable heritage accommodation at affordable prices. Enjoy the ambience of a historical homestead with spectacular views over the Maniototo plain & surrounding mountain ranges. Peter's Farm Lodge was built in 1882 of mud brick and volcanic rock. It is situated above Waipiata town ship and the Taieri River. This heritage building has been restored to the glory days of the early pioneering farmers. Soak up the historic atmosphere with many of the Lodge's original features……

When I arrived at my accommodation, I was pleased by the welcome. My timing was excellent as  there was a great barbecue dinner. After a hard days riding and travelling I was, I realised; famished. Despite that, there was no way I could finish all the helpings at dinner time.

What a charming and hospitable place and what a big day today was.



Blog Indexes:

Comments