Riding Clyde to .. OH OW .. I miss the bus !

My plan was to ride to Cromwell then catch the 9:10am Intercity bus to Twizel. I know the alarm went off at 6:00am, I am sure it did. Perhaps I can get way with a bit more sleep, after all it’s an hour and 16 minutes according to Google to the station.   Shiddeeep ! it is now 7:00am, what the ……. My body was complaining big time. but it has an immediate and pressing mission. Dive into the Lycra, grab a few bread rolls and I’m off.

Hot diggity, it was hard mountain work all the way and a cracker to start off with, that 1h 16m probably wasn’t for a bike with panniers and a tired body either. With an average 19km/h we are looking at road bikes. I'd say 12km/h is more realistic.

I was on a mission though and I managed to get to Cromwell on time, but where is the bus station ? Looking at the address “Lode Lane, off Barry Ave next to the Mall”  I had no Idea. Lode lane is split and The Mall is a sinuous street. There are no people around to ask either. When I finally found it, some rusty steel arty nondescript  bus terminal design it was too late, w.t.f., it in no way looks like a bus terminal that I was used to anyway. The bus I needed was just exiting out of the intersection and it too was on a mission.  

Courtesy of Google maps here is a picture of the bus terminal.


Oh dear, what to do now, do I hang around Cromwell for another day or .. ride to Twizel.  Oh well, I just did 135km yesterday might as well see how far I can get.   Upon the decision to leave, my spirits rose when I looked at the river by the road.

Looking at an extract of the Alps 2 Ocean map, I intercepted the trail at Omarama coming from the west. I had a choice of riding to Twizel or riding to Lake Ohau lodge.  I felt that it was a better decision to ride to Lake Ohau lodge as I would be tempted to miss it on the return journey,if I went straight to Twizel. 

In my agitated mind I thought it's only 150km to Lake Ohau. Not a problem, what's and extra 15 over the 135km I did yesterday ? The optimist in us all. There was a big difference here. 1) There are hills, I mean big hills on this route, 2)  mountain bike trails  and 3) it is not 150km it is 175km because I already did 25km plus a few getting to Cromwell.

Next you have to factor in a loaded 25kg mountain bike versus a road cyclist with a 10kg weight used for Google maps estimates.  So Google says 9 hours. I'd reckon we need to add another 3 to 4, let us say 4 ~ that is a 13 hour ride !

The ride up Lindis valley was a steady effort but reward with an epic long down hill ride. It was something else. I reached 80 km/h going down the mountain. On the 29er my heart was racing with the adrenaline pumping big time. It was exhilarating going on the bitumen at this speed, no time to think about the risks associated should I fall.  There was another cyclist who was good company.

At the apex of one of the hills I was talking about my intents. He felt that it was not going to be possible for me to reach my destination before dark, so offered to take me some of the way as he is turning off at Omarama to go home. I was very grateful and accept his offer, he shaved about 60km off the trip for me.

When I got on to the tracks at Omarama, I met an English guy – Adrian, who was travelling to Ohau as well. Somewhat tired and deflated, I perked up and was encouraged to keep on pressing.  No need to succumb to my desire to simply put up the tent.

Coming in to Ohau, how much better can you get for scenery? One has got to love nature’s easel: with the lakes, mountains and blue sky adorned with puffy clouds it makes a great picture.

Needless to say. I was shattered upon arrival at the Ohau ski lodge, in the darkness. The outdoor spa tub was a welcome refuge for recovery, providing a much needed rest for my cramped muscles.


Blog Indexes:

Comments