Telefest at Broken River ski club, New Zealand.

The Broken River ski club is a club ski field located on the South Island of New Zealand. It is 100km west of Christchurch in the Craigieburn range.

There are quite ski clubs that have their own fields snow fields in New Zealand.  On researching the skiing areas I found that this club had a telefest running in August, with a well priced package including accommodation, some instruction and a lift pass. 


Jetstar had a one of their Friday specials for flights, and the YHA in Methven had a bus shuttle service from Christchurch to Broken River: fast forward from April to August and here I am on the slopes. 

Looking at the mountain in the picture above and looking at the mountains in the picture below for comparison in Australia; you might understand that little old Stuart was somewhat intimidated. Fear prevailed over any skills I might of had, and on the first day and I tumbled a few times.
I was, yep I was a bit scared. I felt like a rank beginner and didn’t help that I fell over more than a couple of times before getting the skill set necessary to use the rope tows.


Remember those times when you first tried the T-Bars on the ski slopes,  well they are a mere triviality compared to the rope tows. You have these devices called nutcrackers, aptly named in their likeness to a Christmas-time nut cracker. The nutcracker is attached to a waist belt, and the idea is that you use it to clamp on to this fast moving continuously looping rope that runs up the slope. Timing is everything, get your posture right and your hands out the way all before the fast encroaching pulleys attempt to crush your – fortunately gloved – fingers – and make sure you bail out before that happens !
If things go wrong and you don’t let go, the consequential punishment is brutal.
OK, I was intimidated, my ski gear had to be upgraded from the narrow S-Bound touring skis to some 100mm resort telemarks and I needed some lessons to take on this beast of a mountain. It was not all bad, in fact I took the bait, got hooked, landed and am now in the frying pan ready to be served to the hungry masses.


My skills were upgraded with some private and group lessons thanks to the tireless and thoroughly professional members – particularly Claire and Jim (Marty I’m not sure that I’d ever reach your standard !):


Dinner time, no worries about starving or weight gain after the days of workouts.


All fun on the last night with party time.


Broken River – I’ll be back for sure.

This club, this ski field, the telefest event, the rustic charm of the antiquated facilities: – I love it all . The members they are friendly, outgoing and the people that I feel that I am and best associate with.  



Blog Indexes:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paddling in the glacial pool at Mt Aoraki